Monday, January 13, 2014

DIY crackle paint!

I've heard about this technique to make a DIY crackle paint finish ... so here is the picture story of my first time testing it!


STEP ONE:
Get yourself some regular, good 'ole Elmer's Glue. Regular, cheap, easy.



STEP TWO:
Get yourself some acrylic paint! You will need a painted base coat finish to start with ... of a contrasting color. I decided on a pink background with a white overlay.


STEP THREE: 
Spread a generous amount of glue on top of your base coat. Let this coat dry until it is "tacky" -- not totally dry, but not super wet either. The idea is to be able to spread your final coat on top without the glue spreading around too much.


STEP FOUR: 
Gently spread your top coat on top of the glue.



STEP FIVE:
wait ..... oooo ... exciting!!


TA DA!!!!!

CRACKLE.


OOohh ... pretty :) 


1 comment:

Deborah's Real Estate Blog said...

That's super neat! I bought a quart of the stuff pre-made at home depot in 2002 and still have a half left. Over the years I added water to thin it out, but it still works. I love that cool DIY thing With Elmer's though. I had seen a bit about it back then, but ended up with the other stuff. Gold base, mahogany finish frame, very cool mirror.